We are back with Part 3 of the Mommy Doctor Series. In Part 2, you learned all the ways to build up your family’s immune system. Unfortunately, someone still managed to get sick. No need to panic! Today, I will be covering my favorite natural treatments for when the cold and flu hit. You wouldn’t believe how many simple remedies are just sitting in your cabinet and fridge!
The first thing to understand is the word “virus”. It is a bad germ that is winning the battle against your immune system, and you just have to wait for it to die. No antibiotic will make that virus go away faster because antibiotics will only kill bacteria. It just has to run its course. This is important when trying to choose a treatment for your illness. You can do things to treat the symptoms and rebuild the immune system, but you are still looking at 7-10 of sickness (depending on what exactly you have) before getting better. When someone in our family gets sick, I just do what I can to help them speed up the recovery time and keep their immune system fighting.
Here are seven simple remedies to speed up recovery from the common cold and flu:
- Garlic: We live in South Louisiana so you all should have several heads of garlic in your house! If not, its cheap and keeps for a long time so get some! Garlic is a natural antibiotic, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. The best way garlic will work is just to eat 3-5 raw cloves, 3 times per day. Yes, that is hard to do! You can chop it up and put it in a capsule or chase it with water. Just get it down! If you have congestion, sinus or chest, you can make something called a garlic poultice. You simply mince about 5 cloves of fresh, raw garlic, put it on a paper towel or washcloth, and add enough olive oil just to slightly seep through. You then bundle it up and put it directly on the skin over the congestion. Leave it there for 15 minutes and then move to another spot. (If your skin gets irritated, do not let it sit as long in each spot.) Soon you will be coughing up more mucus than you realized you had in you! If you are feeling a little more adventurous, look up how to make “garlic lemonade”. It is another powerful way to get the garlic in and crud out!
- Oregano: Just like the garlic, this herb is an amazing antibiotic, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. Unlike the garlic, it is a little easier to take! Oil of oregano is not as easy to extract so you will need to purchase some. You can get oil of oregano capsules or you can get a bottle of the essential oil from any health food store or online. Just follow the label on the bottle if you chose the capsule. If you chose the essential oil, dilute with a little olive oil and rub on the bottoms of feet. Oil of oregano essential oil can burn sensitive skin so use caution, especially if applying it to your babes. Also, an important note, do NOT use Oil of Oregano if pregnant.
- Humidifier: Yes, this is the same thing your momma used! There is a reason, IT WORKS! We have recently switched to a cool mist humidifier because I read there is less chance of mold build up. However, if you already have a warm mist humidifier, do not feel like you need to go buy a new one! Using the humidifier helps loosen chest and nasal congestion, making it easier to breath and reducing cough.
- Honey: Local, raw honey is AMAZING for coughs and sore throats! It also has antibacterial properties. You can add a little garlic to a spoonful of honey and get a double whammy dose of goodness! The key to using honey though, is to get local, raw honey from as close to your house as possible! Bees don’t travel across large bodies of water, such as the Mississippi River, and they do not travel far from their hives. The closer to home you can get it the better, so the honey will be made by bees that are pollinating the plants closest to you! A spoonful of honey will sooth a sore throat quickly. For a real nice treat, make a glass of hot tea. Add a little lemon and honey and your throat will be feeling better in no time!
- Sleep: I know it sounds crazy, but sleep is an amazing healing power. You body is working so hard to fight whatever you have so give it a rest! Let yourself take a sick day! You can only fight one battle at a time. The laundry will have to wait!
- Elderberry : Yes, I am saying it again. Why? Because it is wonderful! Not only is it loaded with vitamin C to help boost the immune system, that same Vitamin C will help fight the cold. Also, Elderberry has been scientifically proven to cure symptoms of the flu 24 hours faster than the leading prescription.
- Essential Oils: Depending on what your symptoms are and what illness you have would determine what essential oils would be good for you. This could be an entire post by itself. There are hundreds of types of essential oils. I urge you to do your research as to what brand is best and how to use. Bottom line– if you are looking for a more natural approach to healthcare, look into these!
These are just some of my go to favorites! My list could go on to include raw onions, chicken noodle soup, regular hand washing, etc. The point is, when you are sick and do not feel like leaving the house to go get medicine…don’t! Search no further than your kitchen!
Disclaimer: This post is 100% my personal opinion based on my personal research. I am not a medical doctor. However, I confidently stand by my beliefs and opinions, and I hope that this post will encourage you to do your own research on the topic. When in doubt, please always consult a pediatrician.