With Lent upon us, two things are in my foreseeable future. The first, something I will give up for the next 40 days. Something that will be a sacrifice for myself but will likely do me some good (last year was sodas!), and the next thing in line is meatless Fridays.
What exactly does a “meatless Friday” entail? Well, growing up in a Catholic family that owned a fishing camp, that meant fish fry events every. single. Friday during Lent. Thats about NINE freaking meals of fried fish in a little over a month’s time?! Craziness.
Honestly, I’m not a huge fried food person and Lent can be hard for me. With fried fish specials lurking around every corner in our prominently Catholic community it’s hard for a busy mamma NOT to pick up a $5 plate of golden fried fish after a busy week for the family. Over the years, I’ve managed to find a handful of really great meatless dishes that my family LOVES and that doesn’t leave us all feeling bloated and gross. And I want to share them with you!!
**All recipes courtesy of Pinterest, because what is life without it?!
- Cheese and Chiles and Spinach, OH MY! This dish from Two Peas and Their Pod is full of goodness and is SUPER easy to make. Definitely a favorite in our house.
- Why we love it: kids + cheese = love and this dish is loaded down with it.
- Mom tip: this dish freezes well! Make this while meal prepping for the week or make a double batch and freeze half for a later date!
- Check out full recipe here!
- Shrimp and Grits …WINNING! Paleo AND Whole30…#doublewin! While we haven’t made the recipe yet, I HAD to include it for all those mammas that love a good Paleo and Whole30 approved dish. Creamy, garlicky mashed cauliflower underneath buttery rich shrimp … this recipe is perfect for entertaining and easy enough to whip up after another one of those busy weeks!
- Why we love it: 5 ingredients. 15 minutes.
- Mom tip: this recipe is for two! Double or even triple up … I feel like people will be back for seconds!
- Paleo + Whole30!
- Full recipe here via 40aprons.com!
Easy Fish Tacos with Lime Crema
- Tacos. Need I say more? I don’t know a family out there who doesn’t appreciate a good taco night. These fish tacos hit the spot and combine with a fresh mix of cilantro and lime for a fun spin on a Friday night during Lent.
- Why we love it: another QUICK and easy meal that takes little effort to deliver a delicious meal to the dinner table.
- Mom tip: set these up as a taco station and let the kids assemble their own! Add black beans and corn, pico or diced avocado to make a fun spread and let the whole family personalize their tacos!
- Find the full recipe over at Ahead of Thyme and tell us what ya think!
- This amazing honey garlic shrimp from Sally’s Baking Addiction is a fun spin on a meatless dish! With a sweet and tangy asian taste, it’s one of our favorites.
- Why we love it: broccoli and sweet honey shrimp are a match made in heaven. The flavors in this dish complement each other perfectly and always have us wanting more.
- Mom tip: scrape up all those caramelized bits of honey and garlic that stick to the pan after cooking, YUM! Also be sure to save leftover shrimp (if there is any)! They make great sweet and spicy shrimp tacos later!
- The full recipe can be found here thanks to Sally’s Baking Addiction!