As a food lover and new mom, I was eager for the day I could start making homemade baby food for my little one. I had the special baby food blender, the freezer containers, and the cookbooks. I was all set.
When the time finally arrived to begin solids, I followed the recipes for the perfect mashed sweet potatoes and homemade applesauce. I spent hours in the kitchen, prepping for the coming week. Sometimes he ate it. Sometimes he didn’t. And then the novelty wore off. I was a working mom and I needed to find a more efficient method for this baby food, without sacrificing the nutrition.
Now, after introducing my second kiddo to solids, I’ve gotten pretty good at EASY homemade baby food. Ones that require almost no work or can be made from ingredients in our own meals. Multi-tasking here, and no recipe is needed.
So I give you, my top 10 easy ‘homemade’ baby foods that require little to no effort.
1. Bananas – Peel, mash, serve
2. Canned or boxed pumpkin / squash – warm, serve
3. Applesauce (without any other ingredients added, preferably) – serve
4. Avocados – peel, chop / mash, serve
5. Sweet potatoes – microwave / bake / instapot, peel, mash serve
6. Oatmeal – cook (pulse in a food processor if needed), serve
7. Peas – steam (purée, or not), serve
8. Carrots- steam, mash, serve
9. Lentils – cook, serve
10. Black beans (boxed / canned / cook yourself) – heat, serve
Of course, this is just a suggested list of simple foods to serve the little ones. Mix and match as tastes adapt and they get more adventurous. And let’s be honest, when you’re on the go, all this goodness isn’t always feasible. Get yourself some pouches or jars of baby food from the store and don’t stress it. Like they say, fed is best, right?